Tuesday 7 June 2011

First Trailer Released for Twilight: Breaking Dawn





The first trailer for the latest Twilight movie, Breaking Dawn, has been released.

The trailer was shown exclusively at the MTV Movie Awards.

Here, Bella can be seen walking down the isle to a waiting Edward. Jacob is seen angrily getting his top off (what else?) and there is a short clip of Edward destroying the marital bed, a scene famous from the novels.

Twilight stars Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Taylor Lautner, were present at the awards when the trailer was unveiled.

My Thoughts:

The wide shot of Bella’s mum walking down her garden in killer heels (a shot I can only presume was used to show off her legs) is completely superfluous. I get that the trailer clearly has a storyboard, which is: “let’s start off with everyone’s reactions to a mysterious envelope (which turns out to be a wedding invite)”.

My problem with this is that it works on paper but that’s about it… to feature Bella’s mum in one of the opening shots when she barely features in any of the movies is just plain confusing for viewers who have just a basic knowledge of the film. Where I also think my problem stems from is that it just looks completely unnatural: “I’m so happy about my daughter’s invite that I’m now going to pretend I have a catwalk in my own back yard whilst continuing to wave the invitation in the most smug and annoying way possible.”

Now, before this looks like a jealous attack on the leggy female, I also take issue with Aro’s receiving of the invitation. Since when do the Cullens play happy families with the Volturi? I know Aro wants Bella changing into a Vampire, but I doubt even a room full of humans to drain the blood out of could insight a reaction quite that happy in Aro.

I am aware that I may be starting to sound like an ignorant purist whose one and only definitive version of twilight is the one that exists in my head. That is not the case. I’m just not prepared to drool over the whole franchise when really some parts of it are poor, books included (particularly the ending of Breaking Dawn).

On the positive side, excellent choice to throw in a clip of Edward breaking the marital bed, hilarious in the book. I have no doubt this will translate as succinctly to film as the comedy did in New Moon and Eclipse, where the scenes could have been written solely for the screen.

I look forward to further trailers that may show a different side to Breaking Dawn, however, I do see my mixture of enjoyment and disappointment as a sign of things to come…

What do you think has the trailer wet your appetite for more Twilight? Will this latest film live up to the book? Or are you just plain fed-up with the mushy tale?

Also featured on Step2inspireTV

No comments:

Post a Comment